smart-space temporary buildings
For friendly advice call freephone
+44 1827 330000
  1. Home
  2. Planning

Temporary Buildings Planning Permission and Regulations

building-plans-380 Temporary Buildings Planning Permission and Regulations

Temporary Buildings Planning Permission….

By Antony Hunt

Quite simply, if you are planning to use the building for more than 28 days consecutively, you should apply for planning permission. That’s what the regulations state….

Whether you do or not is of course entirely your decision. If you intend to comply with the regulations and would like us to handle the entire planning application on your behalf, we will do so, saving you countless hours and stress in dealing with the application.

Our in-house Structural Engineer Ross Vinter, handles all of our clients’ applications; which gives numerous advantages compared to you doing it yourself, or employing a consultant to handle your application.

If you’d like an estimate for us to obtain planning permission on your behalf, without obligation, please contact us.

If you are not intending to apply for planning permission, the very worst that will happen is a neighbour may well contact your local planning department, at which point they are obligated to contact you to either ask you to make a retrospective application – or have the building removed by an agreed date.

ajax loading

Official text from the government website

Factory or warehouse extensions

Planning permission will not normally be required if your extension is:

  • less than 100 square metres of floor space; and
  • less than 25 per cent of the volume of the original building; and
  • below the height of the original building.
  • The extension must be related to the current use of the building or the provision of staff facilities.

Planning permission will be required if the extension:

  • materially affects the external appearance of the building; or
  • comes within five metres of the boundary of the site; or
  • reduces the amount of space available for parking or turning of vehicles.

Permission may be granted for the erection of a temporary building to last seven years on land required for road improvements in eight or more years, although an application to erect a permanent building would normally be refused.

Can work begin with retrospective permission?

If you go ahead without permission, the local council (or National Park Authority) may ask you to make a retrospective planning application. If it decides permission should not be granted it may require you to put things back as they were. You can appeal but if the decision is against you and you refuse to comply you may be prosecuted.

So what does all this mean to you?

So what does all this mean to you? We help with Planning Permission

Simply that, unless the building is smaller than 100m2, you should make an application to obtain planning permission at some point.

If the building is between 101m2 – 1000m2 this would be classed as a minor planning application which has a statutory period of 8 weeks from application to decision.

If the building is to be 1001m2 or more, this would be classed as a major planning application which has a statutory period of 12 weeks from application to decision, and is more complicated as this goes before the planning committee; so far more detailed reports will be required.

If your need is urgent and you want to rent a re-locatable temporary building, you can have the temporary building erected, and make a retrospective planning application whenever you choose (normally when someone complains).

In terms of rental customers, this is the way most of our clients approach planning permission, because more often than not, there simply isn’t the time to go through the process in the statutory time when there’s an urgent need for additional space.

However, when it comes to capital outlay and buying a building – be it temporary or permanent, then it’s far more sensible to obtain permission before your building is erected, due to the potential costs involved.

Fundamentally, whether you choose to make your application before or retrospectively, we can help you achieve this with very little input on your part once the initial consultation has been held with our Structural Engineer, Ross Vinter.

To obtain a no-obligation estimate for us to make the planning application on your behalf, simply click here and we’ll get back to you with an estimate of the costs.

Temporary Buildings Planning Guide

temporary buildings planning guide

How To "Fast Track" Your Planning Application. Don't leave it to chance - this guide gives you all the facts.

Customer Satisfaction Survey

Feedback from our clients on our customer serviceStar Rating
It will only take a few minutes to complete
or make a free call:
+44 1827 330000
We will happily answer all your questions!